With all the baby business going on these days I am starting to feel very strange. I am extremely happy for all of those people who are fortunate enough to want something very important in their lives so badly and to be given that special thing. I smile to myself when I think of the happiness my good friends will feel when they meet their little man/chick. I am talking to you Shan and Sarah!
However, with this joy is a giant sense of confusion and inadequacy to a person like me…a person constantly met with indecision and maybe even bitterness when it comes to thinking about the world we live in and what it can be like to tiny human being with big feelings (baby, not me). I am also admittedly quite selfish these days- caring more about listening to live music than to clipping coupons for Target. How would someone like me fare with a child depending on me? Right now…probably not so well. Does this mean I am broken? I would like to think not but being this way definitely doesn’t mesh with the real world filled with inquiring minds and pushy people.
So as this change in life comes (and there is no stopping it from coming) I know someday I will be greeted with many “Are you next?”, and “When are YOU jumping on the baby train?” questions and knowing this, I have come up with a few clever responses:
To the pushy lady in her late 60’s: Well, I am just waiting on you… I thought we could be Lamaze buddies….no?
To my mother: As soon as I polish off this kilo of blow. You always told me Waste is Haste
To a coworker: Well, what I was trying to do is sync my maternity leave up with our busiest time of year. Don’t worry, I only have 3 wall sized filing cabinets of work for you to do while I am out...if I ever come back.
To a stranger: Do you have $418,702 you could loan us? We’ll totally pay you back.
So for quite some time, I will be the Claudia Kishi from Babysitters Club to all of my favorite Fertile Myrtles but please note that I do charge $5.00 an hour.
However, with this joy is a giant sense of confusion and inadequacy to a person like me…a person constantly met with indecision and maybe even bitterness when it comes to thinking about the world we live in and what it can be like to tiny human being with big feelings (baby, not me). I am also admittedly quite selfish these days- caring more about listening to live music than to clipping coupons for Target. How would someone like me fare with a child depending on me? Right now…probably not so well. Does this mean I am broken? I would like to think not but being this way definitely doesn’t mesh with the real world filled with inquiring minds and pushy people.
So as this change in life comes (and there is no stopping it from coming) I know someday I will be greeted with many “Are you next?”, and “When are YOU jumping on the baby train?” questions and knowing this, I have come up with a few clever responses:
To the pushy lady in her late 60’s: Well, I am just waiting on you… I thought we could be Lamaze buddies….no?
To my mother: As soon as I polish off this kilo of blow. You always told me Waste is Haste
To a coworker: Well, what I was trying to do is sync my maternity leave up with our busiest time of year. Don’t worry, I only have 3 wall sized filing cabinets of work for you to do while I am out...if I ever come back.
To a stranger: Do you have $418,702 you could loan us? We’ll totally pay you back.
So for quite some time, I will be the Claudia Kishi from Babysitters Club to all of my favorite Fertile Myrtles but please note that I do charge $5.00 an hour.

as long as you bring your Kid Kit, we're good.
ReplyDeleteNo pressure from me to be anything but kooky Aunt Kelly who travels to africa, or the jersey shore, and brings back fun presents for my kids.
I'll be the selfish person convincing you not to have a baby so that we can continue to go out drinking all the time.
ReplyDeleteOh, don't worry about grief from me, as soon as Fancy can walk and use his/her thumbs s/he can bring us beers from the cooler.
ReplyDeleteI will always respect your decisions, but I will also always imagine re-enacting our communcations to one another, utero to utero, a la John the Baptist and Jesus. You KNOW we communicated. I will even let you be Jesus in the scenarios, since you're older.
ReplyDelete